Friday, June 29, 2012

Chore Jar Tips

I've had a lot of interest in my Chore Jar post.  Several of you have asked what types of chores the boys do and if I could share a list of chores.

I know getting cooperation from our children is challenging so I will always share what's working in my home - us parents have to stick together!

My boys are ages 6.5 and 3.5 so I try to give them things to do that they can do with some ease and that they will enjoy doing {at least enjoy until the novelty of doing it wears off!}

Chores For My 6.5 Year Old
Vacuum Bedroom
Vacuum Family Room
Dust Downstairs
Dust Upstairs
Wipe Down all Sinks
Wipe Down Kitchen Cabinets
Wipe Down Baseboards Downstairs
Do a Load of Laundry
Wipe Down all Toilets
Pick-up Family Room
Empty Dishwasher
Dustbuster Steps


Chores For My 3.5 Year Old
Collect Trash from Upstairs
Wipe Down Placemats
Dustbuster Bathroom Floors
Water Potted Plants
Wipe Down all Sinks
Wash Dog Bowls
Sort Laundry


Supplies that Help Keep it Simple
Cleaning Wipes {Lysol, Clorox}
Dustbuster
Paper towels
Small Disposable Rubber Gloves


Some Tips When it Comes to Chores and Helping Out 
1.) It doesn't have to be done perfectly.  
~ It will most likely never be done as well as we would have done it - and that's okay {this is still a challenge for me, but I'm getting better}.

2.) Show your children "how" to do the task. 
~ Keep it simple!! Try to keep it to 2 or 3 steps if your children are under the age of 6. 

3.) Lots of praise and encouragement! 
~ This can make the difference between willingness and pushback next time you ask your child to do something.  My big little guy really doesn't like wiping down the toilets {who does?!} but when I comment on how shiny and clean it looks and how if I didn't know better I would have thought Daddy had done the cleaning he beams with pride :)

4.) Find out what works for your family. 
~ Maybe your kids need a set of chores that are the same each week. Maybe your children are older and can wait a week for their allowance/reward. Keep trying until you find what works.

5.) Be consistent.  
~ The Mr and I have made it clear that it's not an option to not help out or do what's on their chore stick.  They don't move onto the next thing in the day until they are done.  We stick to this rule and the boys know it.  I do however give my big little guy the option of one chore stick swap. The boys usually do 2 sticks each morning. If he pulls a stick he really doesn't want to do then he can put it back and swap it for another - but he then has to do what's on that stick - there is just one swap. 


I hope this helps get you started. If you have chores or methods that work for your family I hope you will share them with the rest of us!

1 comment:

  1. This is just what I needed! Thanks : )
    Love your blog - super cute!
    xo
    Carla

    ReplyDelete